My sewing group recently posted its wrap up of completed projects for the year, I thought I’d replicate my list here, with photos.
Low Countries Clothing Projects
It’s based on this Flemish illumination of a spinner. A truncated hennin to finish the outfit is amongst my plans for 2014.
Black linen tie-up coif (called a tailed coif by others, with a whole page on Larsdatter devoted to images of this cap). My version is built on this pattern developed by SevenStarWheel and I love it. It stays on my head except in high winds, it’s light and so doesn’t add to heat load in Australia’s hot weather, and it looks ‘right’. It goes wonderfully with my red Leiden kirtle, as seen in the photo below.
I’ve had so many people admire this coif that I will probably teach a class on it (and other head coverings of the Transition Era) at Rowany Festival.
Photo by Candidnan, I recommend looking at her page on the Blacktown Medieval Fayre, as she took some lovely photos.
See the posts linked above for more images and the construction of these items
Other small items, without photos
- A Orange-Red linen underskirt. I often wear an underskirt in lieu of a full kirtle layer in the hot Australian weather, it gives shape to my skirts without adding another 3 layers to my bodice.
- Chemise – the top of which can be seen in the red kirtle image above
- Rebuilt sleeves in green wool gown, to have more movement in the elbows and re-puffed the puffs in the sleeves
- Partlet for the green velveteen gown (Photos to come)
- Wool hat suited to the late 1400s, early 1500s across Europe.
- Closures on his two waffenrock-type items (don’t have name for this in Dutch)
- Holes punched in leather doublet (This totally counts as an item, due to RSI from hours of hole punching)
A list of UFOs, which I might get to in 2014
- The green velveteen transition gown for Yule Feast, now for Rowany’s Baronial changeover in May. See the linked post for current status.
- Elizabethan slops for my partner to go with his black leather jerkin. These are made up, they just need buttons and a lining.
- Gold haube. This didn’t get finished, mostly as I scaled up Genoveva’s pattern incorrectly. The good news is I have too much fabric rather than too little. It’s bumped down the priority list for the moment.
- A Leiden coif made from white linen. I want to replace the coif that I used to wear with the red and green kirtles which went missing after I moved to the UK. My first attempt was too baggy, and is currently sitting in the UFO pile waiting for some love.